This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
Whether you are a model maker or hobbyist, a drill press is an essential resource that you absolutely cannot do anything without. But which one to choose among the many models available on the market, which is the best drill press?
- Top 5 Best Drill Bit Sharpeners For The Money On The Market (2021 Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Drill Press Tables For Woodworking (2021 Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Drill Press Vise (4”, 6”) For Milling & Metal (2021 Reviews)
Our guide will help you better test the characteristics of the different drills. We will put you in a position to choose the one that best suits your needs. To make it easier for you, you will also find reviews of the models most popular with buyers.
Top 13+ Best Drill Presses in 2021 Reviews
#1 Best Drill Press For The Money: SKIL 3320-01 Drill Press
- 1/2-inch keyed chuck. Bump-off...
- 5 speeds - 570 - 3,050 RPM
- Adjustable depth stop for accurate...
SKIL 3320-01 Drill Press is the best drill press produced by SKIL that we examined in the guide. It comes at a low price. Despite being an inexpensive product, according to buyers’ opinions, it is one of the best drill presses of 2020 between low-cost hobby tools.
Among its specifications, we find the belt feed system for adjusting the speed on the pulley, nine different speed rates, an adjustable work surface, and the On/Off switch with release coil.
- Powerful and versatile performance for wood and metal
- Precise and silent compared to models produced by competing companies.
- The price of this drill is among the lowest you will find
- The safety switch near the straps is a little too sensitive.
The accuracy of the SKIL 3320-01 impressed the buyers. It is significantly higher than the average for similarly priced hobbyist drill presses.
#2 Best Mini Drill Press: SE Three-Speed Mini Drill Press
- Work area dimensions: 6-9/16” x...
- Base dimensions: 6-5/8” x...
- Max drill height: 7-1/2”; Max...
SE Three-Speed Mini Drill Press belongs to the hobby line. It is recognizable by the typical mini body. The speed regulation system allows you to adapt the revolutions according to the material.
According to some buyers, SE Three-Speed Mini Drill Press is uncomfortable because they limit it in height. The worktop is not tillable. And its 710 watts of power generate high noise and vibrations. It affects the accuracy of the appliance.
- Electronic regulation and digital reading systems are of high quality
- Its flexibility of use is remarkable from DIY work to the construction and restoration of furniture.
- Work without problems with wood, plastic, and metal.
- Because of the eminent power, it is very noisy and generates vibrations
The digital system of SE Three-Speed Mini Drill Press is perfect for reading the speed and depth of drilling.
#3 Best Jewellery Drill Press: TACKLIFE TKDP01A Benchtop Drill Press
TACKLIFE TKDP01A model is also among the best drill presses in 2020. Concerning the price, TACKLIFE TKDP01A is less than half compared to the SKIL model.
For the performances, it is lower but remains a good level. We have different adjustments such as the top with different heights and tillable. The chip protection is provided.
- There are several adjustments to best adapt the tool to the different needs of the user.
- It is an unprofessional drill press but suitable for the needs of most hobbyists.
- Affordable price
- The vice is not present and must be purchased separately
In terms of performance, TACKLIFE TKDP01A is not a superb choice. But it is always a product we recommend for the works of jewellery.
#4 Best Hand Drill Press: Milescraft 1318 Drillmate Drill
- Perfect for straight or angled...
- Attaches to all 3/8" And 1/2" Power...
- Angle cuts of 45 Degree to 90...
Among the various economic models that we have compared, Milescraft 1318 Drillmate Drill stands out. We intend it only for hobby use. Its power is modest at only 350 watts. But it still generates a speed that can be adjusted on five different levels.
- Top 5 Best Drill Press Sanding Drum: Woodstock, Delta or Wen (2021 Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Mud Mixer Drills For Concrete, Thinset, Mortar & Drywall 2021 Reviews
- Top 5+ Best Lightweight Drill: Corded, Cordless, Hammer or Combi Drills (2021 Reviews)
These characteristics make it ideal more for wood than for metal. It has a 13mm spindle, a tilting work surface in cast iron, and the classic three-lever system for vertical movement of the spindle.
However, its greatest limitation is that it is not very versatile and suitable only for people who work with wood.
- Amazing cutting performance for cast iron and steel
- Suitable for hobbyists who work in environments with limited space
- Affordable price and is one of the best sellers in its category.
- As mentioned above, it is a hobbyist drill that offers the best with wood only.
The compact dimensions make Milescraft 1318 Drillmate Drill ideal with limited space available and further underline the hobbyist character.
#5 Best Magnetic Drill Press: DEWALT DWE1622K Drill Press
- 10 amp motor, 2-speed settingsl ;No...
- Overload protection electronics...
- Quick Change chuck system....
If the time has come for you to buy a new drill press, we suggest you look at the DWE1622K model produced by the well-known company DEWALT. The manufacturing materials are of high quality.
The base of the machine is solid cast iron while the arm and body are aluminum. The assembly is also excellent and completely free of play. The special 24-pin motor has a power of 100 Watts and generates a continuously variable speed.
- Precision mechanics and model makers guarantee top precision.
- The manufacturing materials are well worked, and they care about the assembly in the smallest detail.
- Generates high working speeds, but it is quiet.
- The cost is considerable and places it in a market niche intended mainly for professionals and the most demanding hobbyists.
DEWALT DWE1622K Drill Press in the production of precision power tools for hobby and professional use.
#6 Best Radial Drill Press: Shop Fox W1848 Drill Press
And here we are at the cheapest of the devices examined in our guide. Shop Fox W1848 Drill Press has a power of 350 watts. It is naturally recommended for home use.
We can tilt the worktable up to 45 degrees on both sides. The maximum drilling depth is 50mm. The B16 chuck is compatible with drill bits from 1.5mm to 13mm.
However, the spindle is not self-locking and the manufacturing materials are of just sufficient quality. The belt handling mechanics are not the best. Also, the pulley compartment opening system is rather cumbersome.
- Its market success is mainly because of a fairly low cost and easy access to anyone.
- Easy to install and operate
- Both assembly and installation are remarkably simple.
- Some mechanical components and the assembly are mediocre.
The drilling height of Shop Fox W1848 Drill Press is continuously adaptable and is adjustable without the aid of any tool
#7 Best Floor Standing Drill Press: JET 354170/JDP-20MF Floor Drill Press
- 20 inch floor drill press with a...
- Smooth traveling table raises and...
- 12 spindle speeds ranging from 150...
JET 354170/JDP-20MF Floor Drill Press is a floor column drill that stands out for its competitive price. Therefore, it is perfect for those who do not have great use needs and prefer to save money.
It is neither more nor less than an electric tool for hobbyists. But unlike the similar model produced by JET, its performance is significantly lower and the quality of the manufacturing materials is also just mediocre.
It relates its major flaw to the assembly and mediocre materials. They cause instability and force you to fix the machine to the floor with pins.
- Economic model to use occasionally and not intensive
- Assembly is simple even for a beginner
- Affordable price
- The quality of the manufacturing and assembly materials is poor.
If you just use it occasionally and not intensively for many craft projects, JET 354170/JDP-20MF Floor Drill Press offers quite satisfactory results.
#8 Best Grizzly Drill Press: Grizzly Industrial G7945 Drill Press
- This 5-speed bench-top radial drill...
- Truly versatile! Specifications: ...
- 160-Inch Drill chuck:...
Grizzly Industrial G7945 Drill Press drills wood up to a diameter of 40mm and steels up to a diameter of 13mm. Another advantage is that the engine speed is remarkable and can vary from 600 to 2500 revolutions per minute. The speed is regulated electronically through a display and an easy to set knob.
Cross laser pointers will allow you to perform your work with maximum precision while always keeping them under constant control. They equip this drill press with a digital display that allows you to check the drilling depth.
- Extremely high efficiency and precision with a wide range of drilling
- High engine speed and digital displays for estimation
- Easy to use and operate
- Heavyweight that hard to travel and delivery
We think The Bosch PBD40 as the best pillar drill for home DIY and the value for money is remarkable.
#9 Best Drill Press For Woodworking: Jet 716000 JWDP-12 Drill Press
- Compact bench top design allows for...
- 10 x 16-1/8 inch cast iron base...
- Stable base design allows for easy...
Jet 716000 JWDP-12 Drill Press is a mid-range product. Its quality and price ratio is remarkable and makes it one of the most attractive column drills. We are talking about a drill press with a 350-watt motor.
The chuck closure allows articulated and complex machining by practicing various drilling diameters. The work will be precise and prudent, thanks also to the possibility of adjusting the work area.
- Remarkable quality and price ratio
- High efficiency and powerful motor engine
- Offer maximum safety
- Expensive price
Jet 716000 JWDP-12 Drill Press is a drill suitable for demanding craft workers who want to work materials such as wood and steel.
#10 Best Drill Press For Metal Work: YEEZUGO Floor Drill Press
- This heavy duty drill stand is...
- Substantially cheaper than...
- It includes separate adjustments...
YEEZUGO Floor Drill Press is one of the most compact column drills because of its small size but safety and stability. It has a 330-watt motor. The revolutions per minute vary from 515 to 2580. It is a wide range of possibilities that allows you to work with extreme ease and carry out many of the projects you have in mind.
- Top 5 Best Drill Press Chucks (Keyless & W/ Key) (2021 Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Drill Press Bits For Metal & Woodwork (2021 Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Drill Stands (Vertical, Portable, Bench) For Hand Drill (2021 Reviews)
The spindle is rack and pinion and has a capacity between 1.5 and 13mm. The drill is light but has a good worktop that rotates 360 degrees, allowing precise machining thanks to grooves for inserting the vice.
- Powerful motor and effective speed options
- Wide range of working capacities
- Best for any metal works in the workshops
- Heavyweight difficult to move from one branch to another place
YEEZUGO Floor Drill Press is a drill with effective and essential functions, made with great attention to its details.
#11 Best Drill Press For Home Shop: Genesis GDP805P Drill Press
- 2. 6 amp induction motor for quiet,...
- 5 speeds for versatility | easily...
- Drills to the center for 8"...
Continuing in our roundup, it pleases us to talk about the Genesis GDP805P model. It is characterized by precision because of its laser pointer and its reliability. The manufacturing company has a guarantee of quality and has been successfully operating on the semi-professional tools market.
Overall, it is a solid and complete tool for those who want to have fun at home with crafts. We believe it can prove satisfactory for all hobbyists. From the point of view of mechanics, it suffers from some limitations that prevent it from fully exploiting its potential.
- High precision and durability thanks to the laser pointer
- High-quality materials
- Perfect for people who work at home
- Hard to use and operate
Genesis GDP805P Drill Press has the speed change, the stable cast-iron base, and the transparent protection that allows you to operate safely.
#12 Best Drill Press For 80 Lower: WEN 4208 Drill Press
For those who are wondering where to buy a professional drill press, we suggest the 4208 model produced by the well-known company WEN. The company’s characteristics are like those of the SKIL drill examined previously. But the performance offered is a different level.
WEN 4208 Drill Press is driven by a 650-watt electric motor that generates a variable speed. It can drill holes of 20mm in diameter in cast iron and 16mm in diameter in steel. And it has a continuous drilling capacity of 12mm diameter drills.
- At the top in terms of solidity and longevity
- High quality and efficiency
- The worktop is rotatable, making it functional, and also increases ease of use.
- The finishes are coarse
Aside from the excellent performance, WEN 4208 Drill Press is extremely solid and weighs an impressive 51 kilograms.
#13 Best Drill Press For Milling: WEN 4214 Drill Press
Although it is cheaper than the above models, WEN 4214 Drill Press still has wonderful power. It does not have such characteristics and professional use. We cannot compare the 13mm chuck to the Bosch one, for example. However, five-speed settings are present.
In short, the product can satisfy the needs of hobbyists and deserves a spot in our ranking. This model comes with stable cast ironwork and is equipped with transparent protection. It has a safety mask that allows the operator to work with maximum safety.
- Compact and simple design
- Affordable price
- Easy to use and operate
- Not suitable for heavy-duty work
If what you are looking for is a cheap tool, look at the WEN 4214 Drill Press. Its aggressive pricing will amaze you.
#14 Best Drill Press For Steel: RIKON 30-120 Drill Press
- Powerful 1/2HP motor
- 16 Spindle Speeds (200-3,630)
- Solid Steel and Cast Iron...
The product we believe is the best drill press for steel in 2020 is the RIKON 30-120 model from RIKON. It is powerful thanks to its 710 watts. You are comfortable to use because it has no straps to adjust. With two speed levels visible via the display and knob, it is precisely at the highest level.
The digital display is also convenient and very useful because it allows you to read the level of drilling and. With holes, we can set it with the depth rod. Finally, LED light and the cross laser guide is a real turning point for those who use them for the first time.
- The performance ensured by the RIKON power tool to satisfy the most demanding hobbyist
- The digital display is convenient to read the speed
- The Bosch column drill allows you to drill wood and steel with a considerable diameter of 40mm and 13mm.
- Expensive price
RIKON 30-120 Drill Press is an easy-to-use tool. It is ideal for working steel capable of drilling with a diameter of 40 mm and 13 mm, respectively.
Features & Factors to Consider When Choosing A Drill Press
Metal Drill Bits
The various bits differ according to the material to be drilled. The drills can drill very well into metal, concrete, and wood. Here, they are called wood drills. It is also possible to drill the glass and the tiles with diamond or tungsten carbide tips.
Their composition regarding quality is variable and gives to the tip the ability to pierce the material. The drill bits for masonry and metals are helical and the wood drill. Besides being helical, they can also be flat. The spirals or helixes of a drill can be different to facilitate the evacuation of the perforated material.
Drill Size & Travel
Another important consideration to make during the purchase is the size. The drill presses with the base on the ground take up much more space and are larger. The drills that are fixed on the table are less so and can also be moved.
Various models show the maximum operating time of the tool at a certain speed. Knowing this value, the user will avoid using the drill press for too long work sessions that could overload the motor.
Column drills have a power that does not exceed 1000 watts. Some of the most powerful models are around 800-900watts. In most cases, they are more than enough. A powerful motor allows you to use the drill press for longer without the risk of overloading. High horsepower is suitable for working hard materials such as steel.
Laser Guide & Onboard Light
Sometimes, the motor body or the column can be between the light and the work surface, casting a shadow right on the point of action of the drill. For this reason, we equip some models with an LED light that illuminates the worktop. It allows you to work comfortably and safely even in poorly lit environments or outdoors.
Accessories & Attachments
One of the most popular accessories is the model pillar drill. Here, it is a bar clamp measuring 165 x 200 x 60 mm with a maximum jaw opening of 75mm. It is made entirely of stainless steel that is solid and very resistant.
The dimensions of the base and the worktop are important for a particular drill. We must test based on the material to be processed. If you have to work large metal beams or plates, it is preferable to opt for a model with a good support base and a sufficiently large work surface.
The cost of purchasing one of these stationary machines is between $100 and $300, depending on the model and its features.
Not all cheap models are of inferior quality. Professional instruments do not always fall into the more expensive range. It is why you have to be careful and try to understand what the market offers.
Chip guard is a useful accessory comprising a plastic cage that isolates the area of the drill bit. The chip guard is present on many models as it allows you to keep the work surface clean while using the tool. It reduces the time spent cleaning once we finish the work.
Top 3 Reasons to Buy A Drill Press
The drill press is a stationary type electric tool. It needs to be fixed to a workbench or installed on the floor. They design it to drill original materials of wood, plastic materials, resins, steel, aluminium, or other metal alloys for maximum depth.
It offers a wide range of applications starting with the industrial sector. But the largest slice of the market mainly concerns drills for carpentry, joinery, and precision mechanics.
Therefore, its key feature is its level of precision. Since they are stationary, drill presses only drill on the vertical axis. The drill is firmly fixed to the support column and is operated by the operator via a wheel or lever. So, it is far more stable than a manual drill.
Drill Press Types
1. Tabletop And Benchtop Presses
This drill does not have a base that rests on the ground but is fixed directly to the table. For this reason, it allows you to work without taking up too much space.
However, these characteristics make it less stable than models with a base. The bench column drill is therefore not suitable for too intense work, but it is ideal for amateur or semi-professional use.
2. Floor Drill Press
Floor drills work like normal bench drills, with the only difference that the position of the tip is adjustable and that they are mounted to the floor. It is a versatile tool useful for drilling holes away from the edge of the material.
3. Portable Drill Presses
Portable drills allow the machine to be fixed to the workbench using a powerful magnet. It makes it a very versatile tool as it can be moved and fixed in original positions. For this reason, it is frequently used to work outside, such as on a construction site.
Top Drill Press Brands
The drill presses of Wen offer excellent quality guaranteed by the famous brand. When has been associated with innovative technologies for many years? Their drill press boasts a power of 710 watts. They produce versatile drills in terms of multiple machining operations on fresh material.
Many buyers buy and want only the top of the range without evaluating other items. If it considered other options, the excellent quality and price ratio would be found in Dremel products compared to the top-ranked ones.
1. What is the best mini drill?
Do you want a multifunctional tool that allows you to do all kinds of work and crafts at home? SE Three-Speed Mini Drill Press is the option you have been looking for as it is undoubtedly the best mini drill of the 2020 comparison. Thanks to the powerful 130W motor of this multifunction mini-rotary tool, you can do almost any precision work.
2. What is the best benchtop drill press?
They include a pillar drill in the equipment of the tools that a hobby and do-it-yourself lover must have at his disposal, eventually. The purchase of a tool of this type pays for itself in a short time. And the satisfaction that comes from its use is priceless.
Browsing the web is easy to find the opinions of people who have already purchased a benchtop drill press. Together with forums will help you decide which one to choose.
3. Are Delta drill presses any good?
Even though Delta drill presses come with one of the most affordable prices on the market, their value is worth every cent according to many loyal buyers.
4. Can a drill press be used as a mortiser?
It depends on your drill press. If it vibrates, then there is the refinement speech of the mortise.
Our guide has an aim to discover the features to look for in the best drill press. Here, we bring you the two models that stand out for value for money. SKIL 3320-01 Drill Press offers superior performance, drilling in wood and steel, integrated LED light, and laser guide. DEWALT DWE1622K Drill Press is cheaper but allows maximum drilling of 60mm and is adjustable in different ways to always get maximum comfort.
Bonus: Quick Review on SKIL 3320-01 Drill Press
Latest Drill Press Bestsellers on Amazon
- Perfect for straight or angled...
- Attaches to all 3/8" And 1/2" Power...
- Angle cuts of 45 Degree to 90...
Affiliated links and Images on this post was last updated on 2020-12-04 at 16:49 via Amazon Product Advertising API.